Dangers for animals during the Christmas season

For many people, the contemplative Christmas season is the
most beautiful time of the year. But what is nice or tasty for humans is often a danger to animals – especially around Christmas. So that your and your fur nose a great Christmas, we give you an overview of possible dangers.

Tasty for humans, dangerous for animals

Chocolate Santa Claus, Cookies, Stollen: sweet temptations are part of the Christmas season. However, foods such as chocolate, raisins or some nuts are toxic to the fur noses and should not be fed. Dark chocolate is especially critical as it has very high levels of theobromine content. The consequences are nausea, restlessness, convulsions, diarrhea and fever – up to the death of the four-legged friend. Raisins (and also grapes) are also toxic in large quantities, but poisoning is not required in every animal. Nuts like macadamia, black walnut and unripe walnuts are also absolutely taboo.

Sparkle and glitter

What glitters and sparkles is also interesting for animals. Cats like to play with tinsel and Christmas balls – especially the thread-like tinsel often awakens the play instinct in cats. But this is not such a good idea: tinsel contains poisonous lead and can lead to poisoning and intestinal obstruction when consumed. If Christmas baubles fall from the tree, they can break and hurt dog and cat at the broken pieces.

Dog bites in Christmas ornament

Swallowed foreign bodies

Huch, where is the baby Jesus? There are animals who just eat anything that gets in their nose – so it’s actually not uncommon for foreign objects such as crib figures in the stomach of the four-legged land. Especially in young dogs, this is often the case, because they are still very playful and take a lot in the mouth. But this is anything but harmless: It threatens a deadly intestinal obstruction, which must be operated on in any case.

Advent, Advent, a little light is burning

Each Advent, we light a candle on the Advent wreath to shorten the time until Christmas Eve. Many also prefer real candles on their Christmas tree, but beware: dogs can quickly bring the tree down in the heat of the moment, and even cats – climbing up the tree – can overturn the fir and, in the worst case, cause a fire or burn themselves. That’s why you should make sure that your fur noses are not too close to the open fire and the Christmas tree is stable. Or even better: At least at the Christmas tree do without real candles.

Attention: beautiful, but poisonous!

Poinsettias, thorn thorns, mistletoe and fir branches: These plants create a very special Christmas spirit and are nice to look at. However, you should make sure that dogs and cats do not come up with the idea to nibble on the plants. Special care should be taken if you decorate pine branches in a container with water as a decoration: Cats like to drink from it, but the water is poisonous for the four-legged friends. First signs of poisoning are nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite. Even the especially pretty poinsettia is dangerous for dogs and cats. As a milkweed plant it produces the toxin euphorbin, which can cause nausea, vomiting, convulsions, bloody diarrhea, paralysis, liver damage and cardiac arrhythmia.

Table cover you

Even if one thinks, one does the darling something good, if he also gets something from the tasty Christmas menu: leftovers like poultry bones or herringbone should not be fed. Heated poultry bones become brittle, can splinter and lead to serious injuries. Even roast goose and duck have nothing lost in the bowl – these are usually too spicy and too greasy for dogs and cats, so it can cause gastrointestinal complaints. If you want to offer your pet something special for Christmas, cook separately without spices and make sure that all food is compatible. Your darling will be happy about homemade treats.

What to do if it is too late?

What do I do if the dog or the cat uses the treats, gnaws at the poinsettia or has swallowed Joseph out of the crib? At the slightest suspicion that the animal might have eaten something, you should go immediately to the vet – the sooner the treatment, the higher the chances of survival. If your dog or cat is particularly eaten, it makes sense to have charcoal tablets in the house. These should be administered immediately because the activated carbon prevents the absorption of toxic substances from the intestine into the body. But in any case: Fast to the vet!

About Tony Jack

Tony Jack is a web developer, SEO expert, Online Mentor & marketer working for last 5 years on the internet and managing several successful websites. You can contact him via Email or on Facebook.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Check Also

Winter is here: cold in animals

Protects the health of your pet When temperatures drop and it gets uncomfortable outside, many ...

Puppies from the shelter and animal welfare: Five important information

What you need to know about animal welfare dogs If you want to bring a ...

What is spondylosis?

When the dog screams in pain The long, shrill cry of pain that the 60-kilo ...